View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #51
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Try to keep up.
  1. President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev officially requested Russia's help. This is not unilateral decision-making on Russia's part to proactively "invade."
  2. Kazakhstan is part of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CTSO), where there is a military obligation to support assistance requests (much like NATO).
  3. CTSO forces - including troops from Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan were also sent as part of a CTSO peacekeeping force.
  4. CTSO is not there to remove the government nor take back ethnic-Russian claims to lands. They are there to quell unrest against a pro-Kremlin government.
  5. Paratroopers are not anywhere near on the same level of troop formation or activation as the near 100k troops amassing on Ukraine's borders.

To characterize this as "Russia sending in troops" as part of a destabilizing march to World War is entirely unconstructive and cherry-picking facts.
You literally said "intervening" which is what Russia appears to be doing. Along with other forces. We will see how it unfolds but I think you learned the lesson that words are important.

I might add that no where did I agree that this is a segway into any type of significant escalation. Far from it - in terms of the OP, I don't think any of those will materially come to fruition as significant conflicts. I mean 2021 saw some month long conflicts that didn't even blip on most people's radars.

I was just surprised by your assertion that there was no way Russia intervenes and not 12 hours later they intervene with a military response. And it was expected - Kazakhstan is quite important strategically to Russia and they will likely be intervening there if it looks like a anti-Kremlin government is going to rise to power.

Last edited by Leondros; 01-06-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post: