View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #3316
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
What is wrong with Hamilton's stadium? Its not grass, but its new and a lot nicer looking than Edmonton's at least on YouTube highlights.
Nothing super terrible, IMO, besides being really small for a really big game. I had actually assumed that there would be extra seating in place for the Grey Cup and the Heritage Classic, with the soccer game being in the middle of those and that would've made a bit more sense.

I have since learned that the Grey Cup won't have extra seats, so the capacity remains mere 23k or so. Maybe I am overestimating attendance for an outdoor soccer game in January, but 23k seems really low for a game of this magnitude.

Maybe the plan is for the NHL to add seats for the Heritage Classic, but if not, that's a shame because Vancouver would've easily had 50k. And there could've been an argument for SkyDome or Olympic Stadium as well if staying in the East was a prerequisite. But, of course, each of those have their issues.

Regardless, I'm happy for Hamilton. They've got a good few months of sportsing coming up with the CanPL finals, Grey Cup, Canada vs. USA, and the Heritage Classic. Bob Young's fingers are in all of these pies, which is no doubt another factor for Hamilton's moment in the spotlight.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote