Thread: Spouse & RRSP
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you can't have a joint RRSP account (nor a joint TFSA, just to satisfy any curiousity there).

You could set up an RRSP for her and you would each have your own. If you setup a spousal RRSP and contribute to that, the account is hers and you would have the tax deduction. If she withdraws these funds within a couple of years, you will have to pay tax on those withdrawals. Longer term, she could withdraw and pay tax. At this point you can split this income after age 65, so part of the attraction of a spousal RRSP was lost when that change was made. Traditionally people would do this so that each spouse had somehwat similar balances in an account so that in retirement they could split the required income and split tax. As I mentioned, that's kind of gone now after age 65.

As far as online access, that's harder to answer. For me you can have the accounts together for a household and see everything that way under one login. I don't know if that's an option for you, but suspect it would be?
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: