View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Local Sports Leagues

Figured I’d start this thread given we’d usually be at the onset of many summer sports.

I spoke to my buddy at CUSA (Calgary United Soccer Association) about their thoughts on an outdoor season. He said public gatherings are banned until June 30th as we know, and apparently that could extend until July 15th. From there, it would take two weeks to put schedules together for all the leagues, and then another two weeks for field allocations and scheduling of referees. This means best case we’re looking at middle of August, which is almost when provincials usually start.

They’re looking at alternative options such as very compressed league play, followed by top teams going into the Black Cup, middle tier to another cup, etc. I made a suggestion that perhaps every league gets divided in two groups, each team plays each once, and then it’s 1v1, 2v2 etc. Then at least we get league winners and some sort of season.

If this timeline holds true, I’m almost tempted to contact different teams to arrange our own games or tournaments starting July 15th. I already miss playing.

Of course minor soccer will also be on similar timelines. What has everyone else heard in other sports? Pretty sad times, and I feel bad for my kids missing out.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote