View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #1243
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I'm looking through and trying to compare some renovation quotes and am trying to compare window packages. Are there any brands to stay away from or should I be concentrating on the type of windows proposed instead of brand (the two quotes I am looking at right now propose Lux and Ply-Gem)

I am all for spending the money to get good windows, but really have no idea what I'm looking at.
You get what you pay for in most cases. I haven't seen a ton of difference between manufacturers if you are quoting the same type of window. IE: pvc, wood, metal frame.

Look at a few brands and get a feel for the hardware, rigidity of the frame, etc. Don't get too swayyed by the cross section of the vinyl, they will show you how theirs has one more air pocket than the competition. Even the best windows are your biggest heat sink in the house.

Robust frames and hardware are a must. Argon is not worth spending money on. It dissipates over time. Seal quality is more important. Triple pane is worth every penny. Good seals, just like a car door. Installation must be done right. PVC windows flex and a bad install can leak both water and heat.

Energaurd built my windows and I am very happy with them. I am not familiar with either of the ones you mentioned. most of the stores around here deal with All weather, Jeld-wen, Gen-tek. I feel Energaurd are superior to all of them, and they are local.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post: