View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #266
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Ryan's role will be RW'ing for one of the four lefty centres, due to faceoffs on the strong side. Peters has attested multiple times in interviews since the hire about how important it was to get the puck right off the bat.

Haynes made an excellent post featuring Conroy about how important it was to be on the strong side.

Enough is Enough: Treliving Finally Repairs Hole in Line-up that has Existed for Seven Years

Quote:
First thing he pointed out is it's the position of the official that matters most. Going back to those late-game face-offs against Buffalo, with the draw taking place to Smith's right in the defensive zone, the linesman dropping the puck is to the right of Brouwer. As a right shot, what makes Brouwer on his strong side is his ability to turn quickly (clockwise) as the puck is dropped and to be able to do so unimpeded by the official, who is standing on the opposite side of where he's turning. Of course, he's doing that while simultaneously trying to pull the puck back with his backhand.

“You feel so good on your strong side because the big thing is the ref isn't in your way. You can spin your body and you have more leverage,” explains Conroy. “If I go to push the other way, it doesn't give me as much strength and leverage. That's the thing that makes the difference."

Conroy was also in the building that night when Buffalo was in town and he also vividly recalls that fateful sequence.

“I remember sitting there, watching Brouw, and thinking to myself maybe slide your stick up a bit more, turn your body, but he knew he couldn't do anything,” said Conroy.
I think Lindholm will be used either to support Monahan's faceoffs on his weak side when the game turns defensive, or take a role centering a scoring line with Bennett on the wing taking off-wing faceoffs when its time to push for a goal.

Last season Bennett was used mostly on wing, but he can boast a FO% of 54.34%. Backlund held serve at 50% and Monahan (with a bum wrist) edged above that with 50.39%. The fact that Monahan was able to stay above water with his wrists being frozen all the time like that is nothing short of miraculous.