View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
To me blue chip has to be a combination of high certainty of making it, and a projection of a core or upper roster position.

On those terms I see Jankowski as making it, but he could be a third line guy his whole career ... takes him out of the bluechip rank.
I think Jankowski clearly has top two line upside. The centres ahead of him on the depth chart shouldn't limit his upside in your mind IMO. He's pretty much a surefire NHLer and as a kid with size, skating, skill who projects as a top two line centre he's a clearcut blue-chipper. Like no question for me.

Quote:
Valimaki may be that guy but if he was a bluechip he wouldn't have gone 16th three months ago.
I don't buy that logic at all. I think last years draft was underrated in terms of its depth of good players. I think drafts have improved a lot overall in terms of depth in the last 10 years. Valimaki has top 2 dman upside with a high likelihood of making the NHL therefore pretty clearcut blue-chipper to me. The Flames had him in their top 11 prospects this draft. It wasn't as bad a draft as was made out to be. Those critical of it were because it lacked generational players at the top end. Basically we'd been spoiled by the McDavid's, Eichel's, Matthews, Laine of the past few years. But the depth of good players last draft was downplayed.

Quote:
Andersson/Kylington are moving along, but aren't guaranteed of either making it or being upper roster players at this point.
Agreed. I don't think either are considered blue chippers at this point.

Quote:
Parsons has a great projection, but he's a goalie and uncertain. Needs to dominate at a pro level and keep the arch momentum.
He's considered one of the top 2-3 goalie prospects by people outside the organization. I think you're tempering expectations by not naming him a blue-chipper. Craig Button believes this kid is a blue chipper but we don't? Seems weird.

http://www.tsn.ca/test1-1.677389

Button has Parsons as the 12th best prospect outside the NHL last spring. If that isn't blue chip then what the heck is?

Quote:
The closest guy for me is Fox given what he did last year, but with limited stature and sample size I think he needs another eye popping season to be considered a slam dunk on either making it or being a top 2/3 defenseman.
Fox is looking promising but yeah I think we need to see a bit more from him overall.

But yeah I think you're underrating their upside or likelihood of making it if you don't see any blue chippers. Like I said I see three totally clearcut blue chippers in this group with a few kids who could develop into ones as well.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 09-05-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: