View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #7401
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
we finished 8th in the league in GF...how is that "overrated"?
the Flames finished 14 in GA with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton and haven't finished top 5 in GA since the Kipper years

no one is claiming the Oilers have a top 5 offense (although we did finish ahead of the Flames last year)...unlike some Flames fans are saying about their defense (although the Oilers finished ahead of them in that category too)
First of all, I don't know of anyone who says that Calgary has a top 5 defense. Defense includes goalies, defensemen, forwards, systems, etc. What many are saying is that the Flames have a good defense corps, possibly one of the top 5 in the NHL. But of course, you already knew that.

Nashville is often credited with one of the best defense corps in the nhl, but by the same reasoning that you are using they are overrated (and not as good as teams such as Columbus, Edmonton, Boston, St. Louis, New York, LA, Ottawa, and even (shudder) Calgary) as Nashville allowed more goals than 15 other teams.

And while no one is claiming that Edmonton has a top 5 offense, many are claiming that the Oiler's top forwards are elite. Using your argument, I "proved" that they aren't, and in fact are overrated and not even as good as Calgary's over the last two years.

I was trying to show that your argument was flawed in it's reasoning but I don't know if I can as I can't really simplify it any more than that.

Last edited by John Doe; 07-15-2017 at 02:42 PM.