View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #20
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually hope that Gulutzan separates the Gaudreau - Monahan combo. I really think that Monahan is a much more effective player when the puck is on his stick more, and he becomes much more creative out there. With Gaudreau, he simply doesn't have to do it himself, and instead is focused on finding the open ice near the net where he is absolutely lethal. I would expect that Monahan actually performs better in all 3 zones (as long as he has decent line mates still).

As for this ranking, I do have a few reservations.

The title:

The definitive ranking of the NHL’s top 23 centres over three seasons

There it is in the same font and size. Notice something? It states for the past 3 seasons. THREE. Numero tres.

First issues I have off the bat is Draisaitl. Should he even be listed? I guess he sort of meets the 3 years requirement, but he hardly plays at center. To me, I could easily argue that his numbers that they based for this ranking is being pumped by being a winger on McDavid's line. He is great at carrying the puck up the ice? Well, he better be, since the opposing team is doing their very best at trying to cover McDavid. Make a bad pass to McDavid? Not to worry, as McDavid will make sure that bad pass works since he can skate like the wind and reach the puck before the defencemen does, so that turnover never ended up happening. I think that Draisaitl is a good talent, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think he is great yet. He needs to prove himself at center way more before I anoint him on any list as something special.

Stamkos so high up was a bit of a surprise to me. The article directly states that he isn't strong defensively.

The McDavid love-affair is at play here IMO again. I really believe he should be third on the list - right behind Crosby and Malkin, but he is the reigning Art Ross winner. Who am I to argue?

Getzlaf seems a bit low for me too. I think he is currently the 4th best center in the league, and I fricken hate the Ducks.

Draisaitl is the only guy that I feel shouldn't 'count' on this list, and there are a handful of guys who I think should move up to #23. Nothing glaringly wrong here otherwise.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote