View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #19
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If you say so. I don't agree. I think it introduces garbage statistics into a debate. This is the problem I see with "advanced stats." They aren't advanced, and they aren't real stats. Just because you can come up with a measure does not mean that measure is fair or accurate. Unless the measure is applied consistently and equitably, then the results are neither consistent nor reliable. Also, the stats have to make sense. Putting together two measures and suggesting they are causal in some way has to be bore out by more than a perceived relationship on a spreadsheet. Confirmation through observation is also important in the validity of statistical representation, and the argument presented does not pass the smell test let alone validation through observation. To me, these flawed stats cloud issues rather than present clarity.

Well, it seems to be a better argument than the questionable content posted in this article. Come on. McDavid is a better defensive player than Crosby? Get serious. You can post all the bogus fancy stats you want, but when the rubber hits the ice, that house of cards quickly comes crashing down. And in what universe would anyone even suggest that Trochek is better than Monahan? Is there a hockey person on this planet that would take Vincent Trochek over Sean Monahan given a choice? That's my problem with this reliance on advanced stats. They rarely pass the smell test and they quickly fall apart when the games are actually played.
I see a LOT of rhetoric here, but you've failed to produce even the slightest bit of "evidence" to back up your position. At least the other guy took the time to put something together that is based on more than just what he already believed to be true. You're guilty of confirmation bias, and you're not allowing yourself to let the evidence inform your position.

Listen, I get it, I used to get more bothered by advanced stats because they confronted long held beliefs that I had. So what I did was take into consideration what advanced stats said in terms of carrying the play outside of just putting up goals and assists. I looked at those players that had the better numbers and I realized that they changed the momentum of the game, or at least neutralized the other team from gaining momentum, even when they weren't scoring. While that may not always directly result in a goal on their shift, it helps to prevent goals and gives others on their team an opportunity to score more goals.

Take issue with the way data is gathered all you want, but even if it's flawed, it's flawed across the board around the league so it's a fair comparison. Perhaps this is just the starting point and there will be a better way to INDIRECTLY measure possession. Perhaps they will develop technology that will DIRECTLY measure possession and we will find out that the indirect method was pretty damn close to being exact. What then?

And lastly, I invite you to watch Trocheck more often. The guy is a major momentum changer in games, and when Barkov was out last year, he pretty much put the team on his back. But one player isn't going to fix everything wrong on a team, and the Panthers had a LOT of problems last year. Center wasn't one of them.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: