View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Top 23 Centres according to Stats Analysis

Interesting article up on Sportsnet today. All ranking lists are going to have issues but this one is interesting in its methodology. Uses a variety of stats to rank centres over the past 3 years so guys like Matthews aren't included due to shortened sample size. Its not using pure offensive numbers so do read up on what they used.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...three-seasons/

A few interesting notes IMO

23. Stepan - seems like the stats think even more highly of him than I thought would be possible. Should be interesting to see how he does in ARI

16. Backlund - ahead of guys like Benn, Kuznetsov, Pavelski, Draisaitl

13. Trocheck - I wouldn't have expected him to make this list so he was an interesting and surprising inclusion.

8. O'Reilly - A guy I think is underrated by some. He's a hell of a hockey player. Guess the stats recognize it.

3. Barkov - I know we've had a lot of Monahan vs Barkov redraft debates and I've been on the Barkov train. Seems like the stats do back up his franchise centre status.

No Monahan? I'm sure that will bug and annoy some. I can see why using the criteria they've used he doesn't make the top 23. I don't think his transition game is as strong as most of the centres on the list.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: