View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #330
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
There is a lot going on. For example, WTF is with the person kicking the woman who appears to be pregnant?

It's such a split second decision. As he ran towards her, he yelled for her to drop the knife. Does she understand? Does she compute? Is she mentally ill? We don't know. But she's got another girl pinned against the car, and the original call for police to arrive was because someone got stabbed, right? What information is he getting from dispatch? He is getting information and getting prepared in his head while driving there. This is very important.

So could the police have de-escalated? Could he have charged the girl with the knife, risking more stabs to both the pinned girl and himself? Is it even fair to analyze like this?

Hopefully with everything that happened, investigations into shootings will be more open and transparent, I think that's a major step that has to happen.

I don't know how there was a real escalation in a chaotic situation like that. There was a very real threat to the pinned girl and the officer.

I think there is a discussion to have because in the last few days there's been points made that cops should be willing to jeopardize themselves rushing people with knives, and I think guns, or rushing into blind situation. While I agree that with Police officers they have to be willing to take heroic action, just like fire fighters rushing into fires. I don't know if that should be standing procedure though. making it standard procedure to rush into potentially fatal situations in that manner is going to lead to a lot of trauma and tragedy.

I still think that any comprehensive reform the police movement, has to include increased mental health and trauma resources for police officers, as well as the usual fair in terms of better recruiting and training.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote