View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #212
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I enter this thread as someone who enjoys a mixed computing life. Far from an Apple fanboy, but an owner of an iPhone and an Airport Express, I use PCs for all of my main computing at home and at work. I like them, they work for me, and I often think that Windows gets dumped on more than it deserves.

That being said, my boss has told me to get a laptop for work. My budget is $1300, and it will primarily be used for travelling. The bonus is that I'll get to use it for personal use as well. I am looking for something light, thin, and fast. Storage is not important, and it will not be used for anything "intense" like gaming, graphics, multimedia (other than watching the odd film on the plane), etc.

The only function that I require for work is that I be able to connect to our office via our VPN and remotely control my Windows machine here. I know that it can already do that quite easily. For my personal things, I will continue to use my main Windows "server" machine for pretty much everything else at home. Storage, streaming media, any work that requires a bit of power (graphics, photo editing), etc.

I have also been curious to learn more about Macs and their operating system, although I don't foresee that I'll ever fully convert over. But for a lightweight travel laptop, the Macbook Air (13.3") seems like it will fit my needs perfectly. Comparable Windows "ultrathin" laptops are not a whole lot cheaper, and since I have a few Windows computers in my life already, and because this one is not on my dime, it seems like a perfect chance to give it a whirl.

Have I done a good enough job talking myself into a Macbook Air? Anyone want to talk me out of it? Also, rumour has it that all models of Macbook Air will be $100 this Friday, both online and in the store.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote