View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Airport to downtown is about 20 minutes depending on time of day. I used Uber and was absolutley hosed $75. After speaking with the hotel concierge who insisted I request a refund, avenger charge should be about $15.

There were no Balboa dollar bills. Coins were Balboa, but all paper was USD. You can’t get Balboa from currency exchanges here.

The Metro runs through the main areas of the city, and is cheap and easy. You just buy a paper ticket for $2, and load money on it. One trip is $.35. There’s a big bus terminal across the road from the Alabrook(sp?) station, attached to the market mall. Buses don’t stop where they’re marked, so keep your eyes out for your bus number and follow it. The walk from Cinco de Mayo station to Casca Veijo is worth it, as long as it’s daylight and your not easily bothered.

In my very limited experience - Casco Veijo is a bit odd. I’d stay in one of the more posh places just for the experience and the night view of old Panama. Spend some time in any of the squares after dark and you might learn something. I had the pleasure of spending an hour with a guy who grew up in the area when it was truly a gang ran ghetto. Take a look at the stairwell in the lobby of the American Trade Hotel and learn about the history of Panama City, the American invasion and the aftermath. To me, hearing some authentic opinion on Panama history was the absolute highlight.
El Cranejo district has tons of reasonable priced hotels, restaurants and the metro line. Very easy to get anywhere from there.

I rented a car, and don’t find traffic any worse than Calgary, just way different. The total lack of road signs and addresses makes your GPS useless. My copliot did a fantastic job and we had a blast cruising around.