View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #1050
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was talking to a friend of mine, because we're both kind of hooked on the idea of technology looks and design in science fiction.

I still don't understand the Discovery's bridge layout, it always seems that Burnham who is the queen of fixing everything has to constantly go over to other people's consoles and push them aside to implement her solutions.

It just reminds me of the IT Guy on SNL pushing people away from their computers.

On top of that, they just seem to have the technology as another character on the bridge and so you have a bunch of people on the bridge that we don't care about and who's only job is to push buttons and yell "Yes Captain".

What I love about the Orville design is that we don't have overwhelming technology, the bridge looks cool without overwhelming us with cool tech. Its simplified and it doesn't take away from the characters.

With Discovery its also jarring as their tech looks far in advance of TNG.

If you look at the Orville it really follows the TNG/DS9 formula of not letting the tech overwhelm the characters.

Also and I'm going to add on, the Discovery tech looks so counter intuitive, is it just me or does it seem like every action on the bridge require at least 20 button pushes and slider manipulations?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote