View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #76
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck everyone! I have been laid off twice in two different countries and both times things eventually worked out for the best. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

The first time I was unemployed for over a year and it took leaving the country, some obscure connections, and pure luck to eventually find something. The 2nd time was much easier and within 2 months of starting my job search I ended up with 3 offers to choose from.

It was a struggle at times though and it can be hard to have self worth when you are without a job. One example was during Stampede after I lost my job. I felt massive FOMO no longer going to the corporate events or having the money to enjoy the event on my own. There was also another time I went out for lunch unshaven and in sweats and ended up running into my former coworkers. I felt so embarrassed and worthless and couldn't get out of their fast enough.

I found having a good routine and a positive attitude helped though. I knew spending all day everyday looking for work would drive me crazy so instead I devoted Mondays to a dedicated work search and spent the rest of the week exercising, playing video games, and chasing down food trucks.

As far as the actual job search went I tried to come at it from all different directions applying directly, through recruiters, and through networking all of which have worked for me in the past. I also found the resume is your most important tool and most of your application time should be spent perfecting this. My areas of focus were on ensuring my most important skills and qualifications where easily found on the first page and having no spelling and grammar mistakes. I would also customize my resume for each job, using wording from the job description to describe my skills.

As far as cover letters go, I feel they are kind of redundant in an age of online applications, however if you are given the option to submit a cover letter you might as well do it. They are so simple to write and may help set your application apart. Also, if applying by e-mail I treat the e-mail as the cover letter with the resume as an attachment.

Finally I have to chuckle at the debate around dropping your resume off in person. I've have had similar discussions with my parents where their job advise was to print out a stack of resumes and hit the streets. This may have been a good idea 30 years ago but these days with all applications done electronically it is a poor use of your time.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 07-22-2018 at 08:11 PM.
FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post: