View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #208
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The NLL is "major league" in the same way the CPL will be "major league".

One of the bigger issues in many cases has been that the leagues that came here were unstable. The Calgary Outlaws were the second highest drawing team in the Canadian Baseball League, for instance, but the entire league collapsed. The Vipers were a mess, largely thanks to Peter Young. Though that resulted directly in the beautiful facility in Okotoks for the Dawgs - who were among the WMBL's best drawing teams when they played in Foothills. In fact, they still hold the single game attendance record for the league, as far as I am aware. The Cannons did as well as could be expected given all the problems of an old facility, bad weather, bad dollar and a league that wanted out of Canada. The Dinos don't draw #### for hockey, but the Cougars were were second in the CWUAA this season according to hockeydb. I don't know about the Crush before they went under, but the Drillers pulled about 1000 fans per game in the ABA, and of course, the 88's were another team that went down only because the league did.

Soccer's really been the only obvious local fail.

I do agree with you on the facility issue though.
That's moreso a Calgary problem and there's nobody to blame for that but the local footy fans. The bad news is that not a lot of people rally around a minnow club unless they're good. Case in point the playoffs for foothills was well attended at Broadview (location and playoff footy drew people to watch). Without a talented club in a convenient area it will always be second rate to something else

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote