View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #10
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
This is meant to be a catch-all haven for discussion, tips, tricks, and advice for those starting a new career, looking for a change, or currently unemployed.
Great thread, as someone with a good job and in the location I want, I'm very lucky. That said, I think we'd all be amiss if we didn't keep our eyes open to better our careers.

Here's what I look for when hiring:

Quote:
Question: Generally, if an employer notices a person has to re-locate, even though they are clearly qualified, do you even bother setting up an interview? For someone trying to get a job in Calgary while living in Red Deer it seems there's a prejudice, even if it's somewhat understandable. Still, I wouldn't apply to your company if I wasn't ready and willing to relocate.
To me, I want the right candidate for the position. I want someone that has the qualifications, that is willing to learn, and that will fit in to the culture.

If a person is local, that's a huge leg up. However, that doesn't mean that I exclude others. If you applied for a job from Red Deer that I posted, and qualified for an interview, I'd interview you. I would let you know the expectations of the position, when to start, and as a not-for-profit we don't have the financial means to pay for relocation. I would do that at the start of the interview, so if that doesn't suit you I'm not wasting your time.

That said, how the frack do I know that you don't have family here, or are originally from here and want to move back home?

You're applying for a position for a reason, we're looking for a reason, I'm not going to assume your intentions.

However, that's just me. I do feel the same way, that if you're not already living in the city, then into the 'no' pile you go.

Quote:
Question: How truly important is a quality cover letter? I mean, if it outlines your qualifications and suitability for the job, shouldn't that be enough? How much do you need to beg for a paycheque in these things?
To me, if you don't have a cover letter, you don't want the job. I want someone that wants the position I'm looking for. If you just give me a resume, you're going through the motions. A cover letter lets me know that (a) you know about this specific position; (b) you want to work for my organization; and (c) have put time and thought into your application.

Anyone can just give a resume. If you don't have the initiative to write a cover letter, why would I think you have initiative in the position? The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, and no cover letter is past behaviour of not showing initiative.

Also, I don't think of a cover letter as you begging me for a job. The cover letter should be "where's why you should be begging me to work for you".

Quote:
Question: For those in the know, what do you think is most effective format for a resume? After consulting with a professional and doing some research I went with a combination style that leads with my qualifications and skills, and briefly overviews my work history.
I wouldn't say I'm 'in the know'. I do a lot of hiring, but 99% of my hires are university students.

Honestly, I look at the cover letter far more than the resume. If your cover letter is good, I'll then look at your resume.

Quote:
TIP: It seems Indeed.com is the most robust aggregate job search engine. Frankly, I don't understand how other sites stay competitive. You can really narrow down your search, and even keep a running list of places you're interested in, have applied to, are interviewing, etc.

Anyone else know other solid places to look? Charity Village seems alright for non-profit outfits, but places like the Job Bank, Monster, GlassDoor, etc. are all pretty lame in comparison.
I have email notifications from Indeed and Linked-In. Out here CareerBeacon.com is good too, but I think that's mostly an Atlantic Canadian/Nova Scotia thing.

Quote:
TIP: This was some advice given to me by posters in another thread. If you're looking to do some easy online upgrading, check out Lynda.com or Udemy.com. Udemy is a bit more expensive, while Lynda has a monthly fee for unlimited courses. They aren't accredited (at least Lynda isn't), but you certainly can build the skills you might need.

Anybody in this or a similar situation, or has just found a spot among the employed, able to offer some advice and direction?

For those that will ask, my education, training, and experience is in communications, marketing, and public/community relations.
Never heard of it, but I'd look favourably upon anyone who is trying to better their knowledge base.

Again, I'm no expert.

Those are just a few of the things that I look for when hiring.

I don't hire in any professional industry (for the most part). I'm constantly hiring as I work in a student environment and the turnover is about 90% every year (because, gosh darn it, students graduate and for some reason don't like to apply to on campus jobs until their last year).

Hope that helps, or provides some insight on what some managers look for when hiring. The norms of skilled trade Alberta would be different from university students in Nova Scotia (I have no idea your industry, just want to show contrast) but I would like to think some of the things I look for, good hiring managers would also be looking for.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 07-12-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: