View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Autism is very often a diagnosis given to children by lazy doctors who don't have any other answers.

I never really paid much attention to this claim specifically, but I am pretty cynical about many vaccination programs. No doubt vaccines in general save lives when they are needed, but there is also no doubt in my mind that pharmacutical companies overhype things so they can sell more vaccines.
Don't you think they could make more money by treating the seriously ill people instead? Why does the government fund vaccine programs... because it is cheaper than treating sick people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I also don't doubt that a certain percentage of people can get sick from vaccines and the different agents used to make and administer them.
Based upon what evidence? I don't doubt that people 'can' react or get sick from a vaccination, but do you have any understanding of the frequency or severity of these issues?

Furthermore, what is your understanding of the body's immune system? Do you understand what an antigen or an antibody is, or how immune responses are triggered? Most of the 'fears' can be resolved by better understanding of how our bodies actually work.

Quote:
The number of recommended childhood vaccines has increased exponentially in the last 50 years. A fully immunized child by the age of 2 years will have received 14 different vaccines and up to 26 injections. Some healthcare visits may require five injections at a single visit. Understandably, parents have voiced concern about too many vaccines overloading or weakening the fragile immune system of their infant...
Quote:
Today's vaccines contain far fewer antigens than the immune system is designed to respond to. Medical advances in vaccinology have contributed to the decline in the number of antigens in modern vaccines. For example, (the earlier) pertussis vaccine contained approximately 3000 proteins compared with the two to five proteins found in the current ... vaccines.
Source Medscape, emphasis mine.

Summary: Despite the increase in the number of vaccines we receive today(and the much larger number of diseases they protect against), our children are actually exposed to far fewer antigens than we were as children.

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 01-06-2011 at 08:19 AM.
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post: