View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Jedi View Post
Most of those examples aren't about an accent but regional word uses. No different than someone from the UK calling the hood and trunk of a car the bonnet and boot. It's regional terminology and irrelevant to what your accent is. You could add chesterfield or couch to that list, or bathroom/washroom. Those words tend to come from past generations influence form their older generations roots in the UK.

Of course everyone has an "accent". Every place in the world that speaks the same language can form a different dialect. It is heard and repeated and goes on for generations. But not everyone has a definite distinguishable accent from other large areas of the same language. I have never been asked where my accent is from when I've been in the states. Most assume I'm American from anywhere in the mid-West to the Pacific coast. And that is in heavy tourist areas where they speak to people from all over all of the time.

Go to the South and for sure you sound different. Along the East coast there are many changes to but again, unless I'm wearing Flames gear of a Team Canada hockey hat, I'm just assumed I'm from out West.

I have met English speakers from Europe while outside of Canada and never been assumed to be from the Canadian parries.

I do tend to say fur instead of for too much though. Something I actively try to correct. That's mainly due to the shape of my mouth and alignment of my jaw when speaking quickly and it's in the middle of a sentence.
Last time I was in the US I had 3 people in the span of a couple of days ask me what it was like in Minnesota.

My postal code has a "Z" in it, which always screws me up on the phone with companies based in the US. Conversation usually goes like this:

Them: What's your zip code?
Me: I tell them, with a "zed"
Them: "huh"
Me: repeat it with "zee."
Them: Pandering comment
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote