View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #111
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Shanahan is an interesting one I suppose. Its hard for me to see an argument where Shanny is clearly better than Iggy, there may be an argument for the opposite but hard to know

Shanny was a beast, but his highest finish in goal scoring was 5th (Iggy let the league twice) and in points 8th (Iggy led the league once). Shanny's highest finish in MVP voting I believe was 15th (edit- apologies I see he was 9th once), and Iggy was top 3 on 3 occasions as I recall. there was never really a legitimate discussion revolving around Shanahan as the best player in the league, or a top 5 five player for a real period of time, whereas Iginla arguably there was. Even in that 38 year old season with the Rangers, he was 4th in team scoring (behind 3 ohter guys in their mid 30s)

Shanahan was an amazing example of a player of a similar type to Iginla- yet i think there is a defensible argument that at least prime Iginla was better
That's very true, but during Shanahan's prime there were a lot more superstars in the league than during the time when Iginla led the league in goals/points. If Iginla's prime coincided with players like Lemieux/Jagr/Sakic/ Lindros/etc there would have been no discussion of Iginla being the best player in the league.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote