View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #279
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I know little about your industry or the types of companies that would hire someone in your position. However, it would seem to me that this isn't your run of the mill sales or customer service position. What are the skills that make someone (you) a good or great event planner? Detailed organization skills? Operations management? A flair for the dramatic? Creativity? If you can show off those skills during the interview, I think that holds more water than saying "yes, I'm organized and have creative skills". Do you have a polished portfolio of past events you've done that you can bring with you to the interview? Or a particular experience that you can draw from during the interview process?

Thinking outside the box, is there something you can do in advance to show initiative? i.e. look at an annual event they've done previously and show/explain what you like about it and what you'd do to make it better?

Just some random thoughts... good luck!

Edit: one other thought — I’m guessing given the current economy there might be a shift to “doing more with less”. That might be something worth emphasizing if you think it fits with the organization you’re applying for...

My focus is corporate educational events, not so much galas and launches (where creativity really comes into play). I try to highlight my successes in both in generating revenue, finding efficiencies, and relationships I have with suppliers. I do have a portfolio of events I have produced and leave each interviewer with a "matrix" of my events - # of attendees, budget, revenue, duration, etc.

I do have some creative stories -arranging for a surprise guest speaker to lead 200 attendees in the hokey pokey stretch (after lunch fun!) along with some innovative was to create themes.

I try no to critique and organization's events in the interview. I am afraid of coming off as "I know better than you" and would prefer to be a bit more of a team player who is no there to reinvent the wheel and overhaul everything that has come before. If they have used a speaker or venue for their event that I know, I will mention it to show that I have checked them out. But, you are right, I have never really asked in depth questions about the interviewer's events. Captain Crunch also pointed that out. I am adding that type of question my list now.

Thanks for posting, I appreciate the insights!
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote