Thread: Star Citizen
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #776
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just from a personal perspective I really wanted this game to be everything they said it was. I'm a huge fan of Chris Roberts and Wing Commander, I have to say that even all this time its one of the best game franchises ever made. It combined everything that you would want, an epic space adventure, a compelling enemy, a game that was hugely fun to play and a amazing story line.

(I dare anyone to look at the fall of Tolwyn and not have strong feelings about it). It spawned its on galaxy that included multiple games and some really fantastic novels.

When I first heard about Star Citizen, I was so hopeful, it had all the elements that I wanted. The ability to be the Captain of a Star ship, or even serve as a crewman on a star ship, a non linear open universe where one minute you could be in a dog fight, the next trading or mining, and the next boarding an enemy ship. Even the demo's were amazing.

When they went to kick starter I began to get suspicious because frankly they started to treat the game like a car dealer ship. Instead of selling the merits of the game they were selling ships. when I read about people buying ships for hundreds and thousands of dollars, I started to back away.

then they started to do those stretch goals and added feature promise after promise and I came to realize that while Roberts might not be actively running a con, he was running one. there was no way that this game could ever be completed and sewed together, everything because a sell job to raise money.

I mean honestly if you can't build a video game for $133 million dollars, and now your running to the bank and handing over assets for a loan that include the game rights there's a major problem.

Maybe at some point Roberts has to throw in the towel and just put out a game because the longer this goes the less likely that we'll see something ever close to his vision.

I've never trusted putting money into something like this where its "Give us money and we'll make a product", that's why I've never donated to a kick starter game campaign, because to raise more money you have to promise the impossible.
The least they could do is put out a great single-player Squadron 42 in episodes. I can't believe it's been 5 years since I funded this game. I was super stoked to be an early adopter as I even got the call-sign Wing_Commander. That's okay though, maybe I'll get to play this when I'm old and living in virtual reality.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote