View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #3350
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think if there is going to be a cap exception, I'd make it for homegrown stars. This incentivizes development of young Canadians, and promotes stability in the league.

My proposal would be that any Canadian player you first sign young (say under 24?) only counts against the cap at his first contract salary as long as he's continuously under contract for the club. So maybe Pasquotti has a great year and earns a $25k raise, then cavalry could give it to him and still remain cap compliant because he's a homegrown product.
I like this idea a lot. It allows teams to hold onto top players and be able to sell for a greater profit, and keep continuity on their rosters.

I was thinking something like 2 designated players, but one has to be Canadian, and you can't have a foreign DP unless you also have a Canadian DP. This way if Forge, Cavalry, etc. decide to roll the dice on a bigger name, they also have to lock in a Canadian outside of their cap as well.

Either way, need to find the line between growing the competition level and not pricing out teams NY Cosmos style.