View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #717
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Was there an auto tip, AND the machine still prompted you for a tip? That's dirty.
Yes. In both cases there was a gratuity automatically added to the bill... When the server presented the terminal after entering the total bill - which included the auto gratuity - I (due to my own carelessness) added a further (20%) tip.

I understand the concept of the auto grat, but the problem I have here is two-fold:

1) I have a large family and we tend to dine out often. I can't recall ever being charged an auto grat for our party of 6 - and I've been to both of these restaurants plenty of times before. Party of 8? Sure. Group of 10? Definitely. But for a table of 6, this is definitely new to me. Reminds me of shrinkflation.

2) Ignoring the possibility of being caught off guard by moving goal posts when it comes to party size, neither server made any effort at all to state the policy up front (as I've experienced in the past with larger groups) or at the time to pay the bill - No, "Here's your bill. We include a gratuity for tables of this size"...

Just seems greasy.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote