View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #13803
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Yeah, the picking players because they are in "our backyard" is weird. Flames end up with St. Croix from the Oil Kings instead of Gaudreau with that line of thinking.

I do think there's two different arguments happening though. One is having some form of advantage by being able to scout them when they are closer, which I don't think holds true (money into scouting is more important), and the other is somehow making us more attractive as a 'long-term' plan for the draft pick, which I mean the Flames own the rights for at least 7 years and I believe the only two that came up to bite the Flames in recent years was because they were going to play in New York (and not like we care about Tom anymore).
The only way that “extra scouting” could possibly apply locally is maybe the Hitmen and then only because they share a building. Then again, you’d have maybe had Getzlaf here over Phaneuf - nice.

Point was in Moose Jaw - not the easiest place to go and scout a guy. No easier than going to any other WHL city and a lot longer trip than some. And in his draft year his his team was horrible and not getting much attention anyway.

ETA: The Jets were as close to Point’s WHL team as the Flames. Edmonton is about 100km more.