View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 12:51 PM   #442
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
First model I've built in over a year, and I had to go big. HMS Hood is ready to put to sea!

This is a 1/700 scale kit (about 14 inches long), and the base is the usual styrofoam/foil combo. The cannon smoke is painted cotton, but I figured it needed something special, so I cannibalized some tea lights and wired 'em up (haven't tried actual wiring since my Hindenburg project years back) to get some muzzle flash. and did it ever work!

Couldn't find any photos of Hood firing her guns, so I used the pic of USS Iowa firing a broadside as inspiration. It came in handy not just for the guns, but the shockwave on the water.

REALLY happy with this. and I want to do another naval battle, only with pirate ships or with other wooden war vessels!

The kit came with a bonus of an E-class destroyer in the same scale (in the last photo). It's going to get its own display soon - I'm thinking with sea monsters!

Edit: my gifs weren't working, so I've added short videos of the cannons firing:

Spoiler!
I picked up some ship models with the intent on doing the same type of diorama, but haven't started lol. I could only hope to be even half as good as you, this is amazing.
Curious what technique you used for the waves, if you don't mind giving up your secret(s).