View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 10:27 PM   #58
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Expansion draft was made easier by the other GM's.

Columbus protected Wennberg, who they bought out 3 years later and gave Vegas a 1st round pick so that they would pick Karlsson over Josh Anderson

Panthers traded Smith for a 4th rounder and the commitment that Vegas pick Marchessault so that they could keep a stud like Petrovic

The Ducks gave them Shea Theodore just so they would not take the great Josh Manson

Basically their entire first line in their first two years and their best defenceman over their franchise history were given to them because of terrible moves by other GM's, and they got additional assets as well.

Their franchise history is significantly different if they get Petrovic, Manson and Anderson instead of Marchessault, Smith, Karlsson, Theodore and a 1st round pick.
This is most defiantly one of the most astute comments I have ever read on here.

You are right the GMs screwed themselves in the end but I will still always hate Vegas and am mad about their early success.

I have always said I don’t blame them as an organization because the GMs can’t help themselves.

You look at some of their moves and know you could do a better job, qualifications or not.

It just hurts extra cause they are in our division and are now a desirable destination for players but part of me just feels like you need to earn success in a way, and not just by being shrewd and taking advantage of scrambling GMs in an uncomfortable situation but by biding your time and building a contender over years.