View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son did three years at U of A and then transferred to U of C. He rented for two years and we bought a condo for his third year, which in hindsight, was a mistake. Housing stock in central Edmonton is very old and for the most part dilapidated. E=NG. Lots of rental options are available. My son and a roommate rented a large two-bedroom apartment in an old downtown highrise paying $1,800 in total (split in two) + $50/2 electricity. Areas closer to NAIT will be cheaper, but your options would be limited to old apartment walk-ups, fourplexes or basements in really old houses.

We bought a 2-bdrm condo in a relatively new highrise for $350,000 right off Jasper Ave. Sold it exactly a year later for the same price but lost +/-$20K on commissions. Condo fees+insurance+taxes were approximately $500/month. Plus mortgage payments, of course. We rented half of the apartment to another student for $900/month.

Edmonton housing market is doing really poorly right now, so lots of discounts on the market, if you choose to buy. Also, lots of investor-owned condos for rent, which is the way I suggest you take.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions. I can connect you to the realtor that assisted us.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post: