View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #53
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You do realize that a good chunk of people are alright with KM, right? Also, is it really that uncommon to put local interests ahead of national ones? I think it's pretty understandable why someone in Vancouver would be more concerned with an issue such as affordable living for themselves over lining the pockets of Albertans. It's not like most of the over the top pro-pipeline Albertans have been anything more than superficially concerned with the environmental risks facing B.C. or indigenous land rights.
Not going to disagree that it will line the pockets of Albertans but it will also be a large positive economic contributor for Canada. I understand NIMBYism and agree, but I also think a lot of people in BC are pretty ignorant about just how much of their lifestyle comes from oil and gas and also what the true risks are of pipelines and egress off the west coast.

You're last two sentences are basically nonsense. You have no clue how seriously energy companies have been taking the environment or FN consultation. At the end of the day we basically have environmental extremism in BC taking things over-the-top yet still living a lifestyle post 1800's (hypocrisy). Those pipeline proponents have taken the environment extremely seriously and do you know how I know? They have entire departments dedicated to strict adherence to the most restrictive and highest standard regulatory regime for oil and gas development in the world. What more do people want? Unfortunately we cannot teleport raw materials to factory.

As for FN consultation, allegedly the Crown is supposed to be doing this activity. Unfortunately for years they've sat back and done nothing to help the situation leaving true consultation between energy groups and FN bands, who then exploit the system and extort oil and gas companies. They lay claim to traditional areas they really shouldn't be. How far back in history should somebody be allowed to lay claim? Why do we care? Hey I have ancestors in Scotland. I should go make land claims even though I've never been there and have no intention to so that local businesses have to pay me money for my agreement. Sorry who's being disingenuous in this scenario??

People in BC have taken environmentalism to a farcical extreme, and it's gaining popularity. I'm okay with the notion of respect for the environment but no, I'm sorry, if it meant people in Saskatchewan or Manitoba went homeless I don't think I would vote against (completely against...!!?) the construction of major economic projects.

Taking a step back, on a macro level, this regionalism is actually a very serious concern for Canada and Canadians. It's always been there, but we are at just another crossroads with some of these pipelines and making sure we make intelligent decisions. There was a news article awhile ago about how key members of Clark, Notley and Trudeau's cabinets all met in essentially a secret meeting in Ottawa to talk about how politically do we get these energy projects to fruition as it's painfully obvious they're needed, but yet also politically save face. Is there any guarantee the NDP or Greens in BC would maintain this stance? I'm thinking not and I'm thinking it's bad news for Canada as a whole.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post: