View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #87
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
DIY Security Success!!!

Last night, I left the garage door open. Noticed this morning that the car that was in the garage, the drivers side door was open and so was the glove box.

Nothing was missing from the car, 42 inch tv that was sitting on the floor (it's broken) was still there as were all the bikes, golf clubs, baseball equipment, etc all accounted for.

Thought maybe a neighbor noticed and tried to look for an opener to close the garage but why would they leave the car door opened?

Fired up the Wyze cam app. Crap, the SD card is corupted and no motion events detected all night. Fire up the SmartThings app and look at the garage motion sensor log. At 1:43am motion sensor logs an increase of 4 lux and a few seconds later motion is detected. This would have triggered all the lights in the garage to flip on at 100%.

I fire up the Wyze Cam app because we have another camera above the garage looking out the window onto the street. Go to 1:40am... 1:41 guy in all black comes walking up the path 2 doors down and directly into my garage

At 1:43, he came booking out of the garage and ran down the street in the opposite direction from where he came.

So, dumb me left the door open, cam failed but because the light level change and motion was detected when the lights were off, all the lights in the garage fired up and scared the crap out of the bastard.

Because I have smart home integrations that are truly smart in that I have automated things to happen from specific triggers, my bacon was saved. Cameras are great to see what happened but do nothing other than let you watch as someone empties your garage. Make your house do things for you and on your behalf and you too will feel like Kevin McAllister.
I don't have the motion sensors or automatic lights, but I do have the MyQ garage setup that automatically closes the garage door at 9pm if it's open. I also get notifications whenever the door opens/closes which is nice, I've forgotten to close it a few times when leaving for work and being able to close it from anywhere is great
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote