View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #21
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Mod edit- split this thread out as there was some potential good discussion. Topic starts with Tim Horton's "food."

The pre-parboiled donut days.
Cut out my informative post that started this discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube
The Brazilian capital firm 3G that owns Restaurant Brands International (Burger King + Tim Hortons) is famous for cost cutting. That's why Timmy's food has gone down the drain and Burger Kings have been ill-maintained and are disappearing off the map.

That said, I still go to Burger King all the time for $1.99 Nuggets and their Fish Burger is bigger and half the price of McDonalds. Whopper Wednesday is still good. The only problem is that there are so few Burger Kings left in Calgary I have to drive halfway across the city to visit one.
Maybe it's poor recollection from student days but I used to actually really enjoy their soups and sandwiches and even some of their breakfast items were actually decent. Now everything tastes like cardboard. They have soggy potato wedges. Their hashbrowns taste like sawdust (I guess maybe they always have because they don't have proper deep fryers and just reheat them) and some of their baked goods were good too. You can tell all their food comes out of plastic bags and is reheated now.

I'm not a donut or coffee snob so I actually prefer Timmy's innocuous coffee and donuts to Jelly Modern or anything like that. It's just too rich or fancy for what to me seems like a commodity/junk food. I'm not going to reject a box of Jelly Modern when a vendor brings one into a meeting. I'll admit they are delicious, but I would never buy one on my own.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-16-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote