View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #150
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I think there are two issues.

The free speech angle which seems to have people angry / super happy.
The factor that Twitter probably isn't performing very well as a company in order to bring value to its shareholders.

The perspective's are interesting, and I think we really don't truly understand the role of social media or the digital space in the role of something like 'free speech.' I'm sure many will say they do, and it should be like this or like that, but even Obama, who has come out and talked about the need to regulate has made speeches saying how real change isn't found by doxing people, throwing stones at them and calling yourself 'woke.'

That being said, many seem to think Twitter isn't performing well and it will be interesting to see what Musk does, including the team he will put together.

I also find it strange that most of the board members didn't really hold that much Twitter stock. They're supposed to be there to add value to the company but they don't believe in the company enough to actually own it? Seems strange.
My question is what's Musk's thinking when it comes to allowable speech. Does anything go? Does the platform need some form of moderation? If so, what are the parameters for it. At what point does it degenerate (even more than it already has) to just a vile toxic place for ill intended users to get off on spewing crap at other people.

I feel like the people who are trumpeting how supportive they are of free speech haven't thought about the reality of operating a platform where things can go into messy and nasty territory very easily. Sure there are problems with cancel culture and online mobs but that doesn't mean a completely open system doesn't come with another set of bad problems.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote