View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #145
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Exactly this. I hear a lot that Twitter is the worst place, but I've rarely seen anything deplorable. It's a fantastic source for up to the minute sports updates and it's the only source I use for that. Gives the quickest updates on news worldwide and depending on whether you seek it out or not, you can get good insight on things from a different perspective than the west fire house we drink from.
It really is all about how you use the app that will shape your impression of it. All of my follows are sports personalities, stand-up comedians, comedy/parody accounts, and trusted news sources. As long as I don't look at the comments it is the most current and reliable tool for breaking and ongoing news and is absolutely essential during times like the trade deadline and draft.

If I don't go searching for it I never see the deplorable side of Twitter. However, Facebook aggressively pursues your engagement with clumsy algorithms. Search or visit the wrong person/page and you're inundated with similar suggestions until you're overwhelmed with information and messaging, and it can cultivate some dangerous thought processes. YouTube is remarkably similar. I watched a Russell Brand video about the convoys and was hammered with far-right and pseudoscientific content in my suggestions and homepage.

Twitter has never been like that in my experience. I see Musk trying to change that into a more engaging model like Facebook and YouTube, and that isn't good for anyone.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote