View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #675
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

My kid plays super league because it's cheaper than our local minor league and we like having some free weekends. I also have family in Edmonton I can stay with if our weekend of games is up there and can drive to Calgary easily for games. The travel is actually better and cheaper than the year my son played AA.

Part of the reason these leagues have taken off are the egos in rural communities not seeing the bigger picture to let kids play where they belong (the morons running Didsbury Minor Hockey not merging with Carstairs Minor Hockey for example) and having a single Tier 1 kid on a Tier 4 team and the team ends up in Tier 2 because two communities 5 minutes away from each other can't work together for the benefit of all kids.

I can't speak to the reasons why city parents would leave their association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Agreed 100%. But part of the issue is these independent 'leagues' have sprung up and are taking kids from the Hockey Alberta stream. When you have Atom teams marketing themselves as AAA the kids (and parents) buy into it.
Red Deer does this with their Atom teams, calling them AA even though that's just a provincial classification thing and not true AA hockey. But lots of jackets on parents with AA on them.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote