View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #101
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I can appreciate your dedication and by no means am I saying your workday is not difficult but it not the same as a developing pro athlete when it comes to pure energy exerted and the balance you need to find in sleep.

When I played hockey for a rather large university I went to bed at 9pm because at 5am I was up running 2km. After breakfast I had practice, then after practice I had school, then after school I had the weight room, then after the weight room I had video and then it was 8pm. This was the schedule for almost every person on the team. Just one late night would drastically reduce performance in all of the days activities and put me or anyone else back a day. A day that you cant make up. Serious developing althletes spend 3 hours a day eating......just eating.
These are valid points - but they've always made me wonder if perhaps aspiring pro athletes are depriving themselves to unhealthy extremes of personal and social time. Time that may very well be necessary to remember to love sport. Yes - there are people who absolutely live for putting the work in - workaholics - but there are many more who might develop resentment and frustration. The ones of that latter group who actually make "the show" are a minority who have the right combinations of talent and luck and everyone else becomes an also-ran. These are 14-20 year old kids who are actually missing out no differently from someone who did nothing but study throughout their youth without making it into an Ivy League school, so to speak. I'd hate to have been that person. And that type of person might develop feelings of emptiness and confusion and turn to alcohol or weed or worse to fill the void when the dream doesn't pan out.

Are there really talented people who probably didn't peak in their professional potential because they were passionate about making time for other hobbies? Absolutely. But that sure as #### doesn't mean they "wasted" their time. Of course, addictions are an extreme. As far as video games go I've only ever played finite ones that I probably do binge hard during periods of free time and then never touch again after I'm finished, so I can't truly understand video game addiction in the same capacity but one thing I know is that a day where I don't unwind and "do something" spontaneously is a bad day for me regardless of how 'productive' I could look back at it being. And sometimes that "something spontaneous" is literally just signing onto a forum like CP, sometimes it's not. But it's time that could but should not be spent being exclusively productive. JMO, YMMV.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-21-2018 at 08:14 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote