View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #1735
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
We got some renovations done and all our speakers ended up getting unplugged for our home theater. Our speakers have a red and black connector, whereas the speaker wiring in the house is white and black. I’d expect the black to be the grounding, but I’m not sure. As long as we are consistent with the plugging (use the white for red on both the receiver and speakers), does it matter?
Thought I would dip back into this as its slightly more complex that we are implying, you can hook up speakers any way you want, black to red, red to black it wont do the speakers or amplifier any harm at all but you do need to make sure what ever you do for one speaker you exactly copy for any others, the reason for this is the sound not any safety or damage aspect, the wiring of the speakers determine the 'phase'.
Speakers create sound by vibrating backwards and forwards at high speed, you want all the speakers to go 'forward' in synch, if you reverse the wiring one speaker will be pushing 'out' as the other is sucking back 'in' and to a minor but audible degree they actually cancel some of the signal out, it is called 'out of phase' (duh!) and it is hard to recognise unless you know what you are listening for but it does reduce the accuracy of sound of speakers (not the volume per say)
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote