View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #1721
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

For $280 you can replace the part, or starting at $630+ you can buy another 200 watt subwoofer. Unless there's something your current sub isn't doing for you that another would, I'd personally go with the $280 fix myself. It's a good sub, it's broken in, why change it for way more money?

Unrelated: Last night I had a buddy over to play some vids on the new TV, and found the audio delay on my XSX was ridiculous. NHL '22 slap-shot off the end boards, and a solid ~200ms delay between visual indication of the puck hitting the boards and the sound coming out of the speakers. What the f--k.

Setup
TV: Samsung QN85AA (eARC is backward compatible with ARC)
Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W (only supports ARC)
Xbox Series X (Connected directly to TV with HDMI 2.1)

The receiver will only do 4K/60Hz and not 4K/120Hz+VRR, so that's why I'm directly connected to the TV instead of routing through the receiver. I tried going through and checking all the audio delay settings on the receiver and TV but came up empty-handed. I found a few posts online that suggested using an optical cable would eliminate the delay at the cost of HDMI-CEC and any HD audio like Dolby TrueHD. No dice; even over optical, the sound delay was still fairly pronounced.

In the end, the thing that fixed it was turning off Dolby Atmos in the TV's Sound > Expert Settings menu. As soon as I toggled that off and exited the menu, the audio latency was back to being virtually imperceptible as was expected. Works over optical, works over HDMI with CEC turned on (so I pulled the optical cable).

So, top tip: if you already don't have Atmos speakers (like me) and are experiencing a weird delay from your eARC TV to your non-eARC receiver, disable Dolby Atmos passthrough on the TV. If you have Atmos speakers and a 4K/120Hz source, you're gonna want an HDMI 2.1 capable receiver, as eARC appears to introduce a lot of latency when Atmos is involved. Lots of reports on this for various TV manufacturers like Samsung and LG being used with Xbox Series X as it supports Atmos for gaming.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: