View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #884
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
well? Im thinking of doing the same. How was your experience and what equipment did you buy? Would you do anything different?
Sorry I am on my phone, so the links are a bit ugly.

I ordered these parts

https://www.amazon.ca/Hauppauge-WinT.../dp/B015IL0FIW

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01E6U...d_i=B01E6U9BYK

My Plex server is fairly old, with a Q6600 and at first I was concerned about the CPU power needed to record, but in the end it works fine. I don't record a lot of stuff, mostly because I don't get a lot of stations where I live.

I use MCBuddy to strip the commercials, and it is all automated. The biggest issue is that the files come out huge (about 6gb for the ~43mins). If my server was more powerful, or I needed to keep the shows around longer, I would use something like Handbrake to reduce the size. The quality is really high at its current size, though.

I want to do a larger in-attic antenna array, as I am borderline on being able to record an extra station (Global I think?) at my place, but it will have to wait until I have enough time to get up there and get it done and run the coax to my basement, where I will be able to split it out to the coax around my house. Also, want to pick up a more powerful Plex server that can handle the load for my usual playback usage (1-2 transcoding + 1-2 direct streams) in addition to the DVR Recording, MCBuddy, and Handbrake loads.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably see about finding a tuner that didn't strain my server so much, by doing some of the work itself. I think the HomeRun tuners do this, but cost 2-3 times as much IIRC.