View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #28
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Watched the whole thing on TV and was so excited they won I couldn't sleep all night. The recap montage HNIC did to "Wind beneath my wings" almost made me cry.

I was in junior high at the time and most of the guys in my class were dirty oiler fans (I grew up in Lethbridge) and I had bets with a bunch of them. I ended up winning nearly $100 and one of those Safeway Flames cakes they used to make.

I was in grade 8 at Hamilton in Lethbridge.

Every year my mom goes room by room and spring cleans the room by taking everything out, cleaning and then reorganizing as it gets put back. That was the night my mom decided was my room's turn. Bad timing! We were fighting a bit because I would wander off to watch the game. I think maybe my dad told her that this is big because she laid off me after the 2nd period. I finally gave up completely trying to help her wash walls and move furniture in the 3rd period anyway.

What a great night. The phone rang off the hook for the next couple of hours.

I remember that Wind Beneath My Wings video quite well. I paid attention to the year end montages every year since then... until Sportsnet took over broadcast rights from CBC. Clearly that one is my most memorable.

I was wearing my red Joe Nieuwendyk jersey and red Calgary Flames sweatpants and was ready to celebrate.

The next day at school I don't think I learned a thing.

My wife said she was playing soccer. Not a single parent was watching on the field as they were all in their cars listening to the game. She said suddenly all the cars horns started honking and the kids on the field knew the Flames had won the Cup! They started high fiving each other, even the team they were playing.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote