View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #2385
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I am more than willing to call out Apple when they do sh-tty things, but this is a weird critique. Apple might just be the best in the mobile space for their long product support lifecycles.

iPhone 6 - Device released in September 2014, received x.y iOS updates until 12.4 in July 2019 -- last major/minor release until iOS 13. 5 years of major OS update support across 5 major OS releases, but still receiving iOS 12.4 revisions as recent as March 2020 (12.4.6).

Samsung Galaxy S7 (a flagship Android device) - Device released in March 2016, received its last major update in mid-2018 to Android 8.0 (which went GA in mid-2017). Funny thing is, mid-2018 is when Google released Android 9.0 so the phone was again behind as soon as it got the update. The S7 will not see an update beyond Android 8.1, receiving only security hotfixes. 2 years of major OS update support across 3 major OS releases, technically 1 year if you count that the OS wasn't even current by the time they released it. It last received a security hotfix in February 2020 (I have one as a Wi-Fi only device) but still only received two major OS updates before being put out to pasture.

Google Pixel (1st gen) - Device released in October 2016 on Android 7.1, final major OS update (10.0) delivered in September 2019, final official security hotfix was delivered in December 2019. 3 years of major OS update support across 4 major OS releases.

Google is probably the fairest comparison in that they too own development of the OS and the device. And they don't provide nearly as good product support as Apple.
I'm pretty sure you didn't understand my gripe. In fact, if this were a Samsung product everything would have still worked. Apple took two products that worked great together and then upgraded one of those products so they couldn't be used together anymore. That's not a very good "update".
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote