View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #2383
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
As of right now, when you buy a new Apple Watch Series 3, it already has OS 6, so out of the box the Apple Watch doesn't work with her Apple phone. It's preposterous. The hardware works together fine because this watch used to work with this phone. Now, they changed the software on the watch and it prevents it from working with their own phone. It would cost them $0 to make sure they still worked well together, but instead, they would rather I spend $1,000 or so on a new phone for the privilege of using their products together.

Maybe some of you who have been loyal to Apple for years don't see a problem with this. Other ecosystems I have experience with don't do this type of thing. I've had a Pebble smartwatch, a Fossil smartwatch and a Samsung smartwatch. All of the watches I've had will work with any phone, be it iOS or Android. I know it's not a challenge for these companies to allow a friggin' watch to be paired to a phone. It's a nothing. Apple allowed this with my wife's phone, and then they took it away. You can say, 'larf, look at this guy expecting free stuff from Apple' or whatever it is you tell yourself that lets you accept ridiculous stuff like this, but I'm not going to. I know it's an a-hole move on their part and it annoys me.

I would bet there is a real software reason to do it not planned obsolescence. Making backwards compatible software is a significant development challenge so at some point you no longer support it. So while I agree it sucks and Apple has some of the shortest life spans it isnt driven to push you to upgrade. It’s driven likely to reduce programming cost or improve performance on the latest versions.

It’s kind of like the battery where Apple would cripple performance to ensure you maintained battery life. That was a design decision to try to optimize operation of the phone whereas people thought it was planned obsolescence.

I still do not like Apple but I disagree it’s vindictive, it’s lazy people instead
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote