Thread: 2018 World Cup
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #147
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^^You must mean in the context of world events, not in football though. From a purely sporting perspective the last time they played a significant game was the quarter final loss to Ghana which was a few world cups back. Indeed Belarus had more of an impact when they beat Sweden in the 2002 QF at the Olympic hockey tournament and reached the semi final, the US has never got that far and they appear to have peaked in this particular sport.

This is one event where they have no significant impact, short of a Canadian obsession with all things US. Furthermore their lack of participation in this world cup is irrelevant(outside of US Fans missing them), and I don't see how it would change anything. Even from a CONCACAF point of view Costa Rica and Mexico have been much better in recent years.

I think you must be referring to the US women's team.
No I am referring to the USA. The global superpower and media magnet that attracts attention wherever it’s athletes play. Really no comparison to Belarus.

Canada is not the only country in the world aware of the US influence and reach.

I hear you from “a purely sporting perspective” but the World Cup is like the Olympics and is much more than a little tournament.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote