View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #18
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I mean, that's like saying I shouldn't use paper bags and cloth bags for groceries because the trip there makes it all not worth while. I can't imagine making "special" trips to a soap store if an online option is available. We already pickup our throw away soaps at the mall, why is this different other than to be a "cool guy" and mock someone trying to teach their kids to make less waste?

It's not like saying those things at all, though. You've already made the necessary trip to the grocery store for groceries, the bag decision doesn't factor in. Same with going to the mall, you're unlikely to have gone to the mall just to get soap (it's possible, but unlikely).

Half the options suggested here are literally driving to a specialty store (which could be halfway across the city) for just that one product.

As for validity to my comment:

https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/gr...senger-vehicle

Quote:
The average passenger vehicle emits about 404 grams of CO2 per mile

http://green.brightblue.org.uk/blog/...g-the-evidence

Quote:
The Beverage Industry Environmental Roundtable, a coalition of global beverage companies working to improve sustainability in the sector, estimated that one 500ml plastic water bottle (about 10 grams) has an average total CO2 footprint of 82.8 grams

So driving the average passenger vehicle for one mile has roughly the same CO2 footprint of four plastic bottles. Change that to a gas guzzling truck or full size SUV half the city drives, then figure out that your specialty store is likely much further than a mile away, and you can see how it adds up pretty fast.

Your best option is to buy whatever soap is available on a trip that you've already made (like the grocery store example, you're there anyways for necessities), or, at the mall when you're there getting other things as well. Ordering online is just the same problem with someone else doing the driving.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: