View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #37
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think anyone saying this is in some serious denial. Do we expect to see Halo on PS5? How about the next Forza, or Gears of War? Because that’s the equivalent. Microsoft owns Elder Scrolls now, they’re not just gonna drop it on a competing platform out of good will for gamers or whatever. You know what gets more GamePass subscribers? Having that as an exclusive, forever.

“Game by game basis” meant leaving the window open for something like Ori coming to Switch. Big franchises on PS is a whole different game.
Microsoft probably won't release any of their big games on Playstation in the near future, that much seems assured, but I wouldn't count on them being Xbox exclusives either. At a minimum, every first-party Microsoft game will be available for both Xbox and Windows, and beyond that, most of their games are also now available for xCloud and can run on any other companies' devices that support the platform.

My guess is that Microsoft's long-term strategy is to more or less get out of the hardware business altogether after this console generation except for possibly a low-cost streaming box. By leveraging Azure, Gamepass, and xCloud, they're leaning in to the "games as a service" model and plan to do for videogames what Netflix did for movies and television. Consumers pick the hardware of their choice and then pay MS a recurring monthly fee for an all-you-can-eat buffet of games. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has already approached Sony about offering Gamepass on Playstation only to have Sony turn them away.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote