View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #40
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
I've seen it a few times now in this thread, what about Vice City hasn't aged well? I dont' really have the time to pull it back out and give it a rip, so I'm just curious as to your perspective on it.
A few things that stood out for me were:

1) I don't like how you can't look around with the right joystick. It didn't bother me at the time, but now going back to it, after being used to doing it in SA, IV, and other newer Rockstar games, I found it awkward not being able to do it anymore. I know it still lets you in that choppy 1st person mode, but once you let it go you're facing your original direction, not the one you were last facing in FPV.

2) Water kills you. Nuff said.

3) When close combat fighting, you can't lock on to someone. Basically just have to swing in their general direction and hope you hit them. Pretty sloppy.

4) In map mode, not being able to place a blip for where you want to go, leading to you constantly having to pause to make sure you're headed in the right direction. This especially sucks when you have directional sense like a 70 year old woman, like Sainters.

5) Just crappier graphics. After playing VC, its amazing how much better SA looks, considering its the same system and only 2 years later.

I agree with you that VC will forever (at least to date) be my favourite in the series too, in terms of when it came out, and not in reflection compared to the others. That setting/soundtrack is just way too awesome, I really hope R* updates it at some point like they seem to be doing with SA now. I just find that it doesn't have a lot of replayability anymore, at least in terms of playing story mode for hours & hours. Its still fun today to plug in, rip around in for an hour or 2 and listen to 80's pop. But after that it just gets a little boring, I lose interest.

The glitches still rule though, best ones ever in that game. Yesterday when I played it I smashed into the outdoor cafe and had my car somehow hovering directly above a smashed table umbrella with me still inside. It was awesome.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote