View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #249
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018-19 NBA and Raptors thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I trust Masai absolutely. I'm also not a fan of going all in if that means being a bottom feeder for the next 5 years. It's nice to build something and win it - not completely mortgaging the future for a one time shot at a championship. It's not like the Leafs where there's a 50+ year drought. Masai, if he seen an opportunity to add some good player, but if it meant extreme risk of being a bad team next year and the following years, hopefully sits on the sidelines and accepts the teams' fate this year. Where there's smoke there's fire though, and I can't see this ending well for Lowry with the rumor out there. If he's been discussed heavily and they don't deal him, he'll sulk. If they do he'll sulk. That's my main concern right now - keeping him. Another side note - any chance Masai acquires VC? Seems like he'd be a good fit this year.

The issue is you don’t want to become a tread mill team that is stuck in the middle. That’s probably the worst place to be in the NBA and there’s many of those teams. You have one year to convince Kawhi to stay and if he leaves Toronto wont get a player near his caliber for some time, unless they go full tank. The raptors have some nice parts but as far as the future goes their best U-25 player is Siakam and after him there isn’t any young player on the roster that screams all star potential.

Frankly, Masai already mortgaged the raptors future with trading derozan for a one year rental when they could’ve flipped Derozan for futures. He decided to go all in for this year by trading his best asset, if Kawhi leaves and they get bounced before the finals it’s an utter failure. Trying to flip it any other way is just being an optimist. This isn’t any other year for the raptors, this is their last chance to get to the finals if Kawhi leaves. No one will come to Toronto as a free agent, without Kawhi there’s nothing that separates Toronto from other teams. I’m sure Masai has a plan in place if Kawhi leaves, I’m just not sold on the potential of the raptors supporting cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 02-06-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post: