View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #554
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Fortunately, Treliving does not have any obligation to consult nor offer explanations to anyone on the Flames roster for the deal he will negotiate with Tkachuk. But more to the point, I think it is fairly well established by now that players accept the reality of the current NHL marketplace: they are well enough aware of how quickly things change, and they can surely see that each player and every team is going to negotiate the deals that make the most sense on a case-by-case basis. Gaudreau and Giordano and Monahan know what's going on; they can see what Tkachuk is presently worth; they understand the current market and the type of deal that Treliving is working to consummate.
I'm not implying that he would go down to the locker room to consult and explain the deal that is getting done with Tkachuk. I was implying that due to the public nature of NHL salaries and the cap system, it does the team chemistry a disservice if Treliving doesn't at least attempt to keep the % of cap hit in line with some of the other important players on the team who took a discount off their market price in order to field a better overall team. Of course Treliving and Tkachuk are free to do what's best for themselves in this specific case, I was merely bringing up what I believed would be the starting point to the negotiations.

Last edited by CN10; 07-16-2019 at 03:50 PM.