View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #1674
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
So, Louis CK apparently decided to forget penance and self-growth and instead just took the easy route of now catering to the crowd that propably thinks what he did was okay to begin with

I disagree.

What Louis did was mostly gross, inappropriate and sometimes a betrayal of his perceived authority. It was in no way okay but he apologized, in some cases directly to those involved, before the accusations even surfaced. I've never heard anyone argue that what he did was okay. That said, I think we can all agree that there is a spectrum of sexually inappropriate behavior, anywhere from telling a dirty joke to rape. I think Louis is much closer to the dirty joke end of the spectrum than even in the middle but I understand how others would see this differently.

Even so, how much penance and self-exile is enough? When is the appropriate time to come back. Is it a life sentence? 20 years? 10 years?The accusations against him surfaced in November 2017. It's been over a year since his penance started. At what point is he allowed to resume his career considering the crime? And who gets to decide?

The jokes that are being talked about and that this video alludes to are from a leaked set. These jokes are not a finished product and are meant for a small, live audience that specifically chose to see Louis or similar comedians and likely knew what to expect, more or less. The fact that there are so many pearl-clutchers like the guy in the video deciding what's an appropriate or inappropriate joke based on a leaked set screams of people jumping on the bandwagon and getting their easy precious clicks. If it was based on a Netflix special I could perhaps see their argument but even then it's largely subjective.

It's funny that this video references Roman Polanski. Where's his video for that guy considering he never really stopped working? To me this reeks of clickbait and taking advantage of the MeToo movement and the sub-culture of outrage.