View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #137
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
But the avs were never going to re-sign Barrie and I don't think kerfoot projects to be an NHL centre.

Kadri was the best piece in the market for what they needed and all it cost them was a player they weren't going to sign anyway and a player they poached from college free agency.

Dom's valuations don't take the lifecycle of a team into account. Having a guy under contract during the window to win is more valuable than 2 guys not under contract which was the direction the avs were heading with both players imo.

I would say the same about Calgary. Having Kadri under contract at an exceptionally reasonable rate is more valuable to the flames than many assets in the organization because of the timing of where the franchise is at.

For what was available for a team looking to win now, I think the avs win this trade even though it's a very good deal for both teams.

The avs also got a 3rd pick, a not inconsequential component of the return.
I get why the Avs did it - I just think they gave up too much value.

It's been a bit of an interesting offseason of signings/trades for the Avs so far, I think they've gotten better overall, and at least they seem to have extended their window a bit, but I'm actually not 100% sure.

Trades
Out:
Barrie (28 - 14 goals, 59 points)
Kerfoot (25 - 15 goals, 42 points)
Soderberg (34 - 23 goals, 49 points)
2020 2nd
2020 3rd

In:
Kadri (29 - 16 goals, 44 points)
Burakovsky (24 - 12 goals, 25 points)
Connaughton (29 - 1 goal, 8 points)
Rosen (25 - 8 career NHL games)
2020 3rd
2020 3rd

Free Agency
Out:
Varlamov (49 starts, 20 wins)

In:
Donskoi (27 - 14 goals, 37 points)
Bellemare (34 - 6 goals, 15 points)

I do still think they try to make another splash though...could see them looking at another RFA if they had interest in Aho.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-02-2019 at 12:12 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote